You may also like to read:

You may also enjoy reading about the family stories in my novels and short stories at The Homeplace Series blog. You can sign up for e-mail reminders.

Monday, March 22, 2010

It's Monday, What are You Reading? Farm Journalist

It's Monday, What are You Reading? 
Laura Ingalls Wilder, Farm Journalist: Writings from the Ozarks, Edited by Stephen W. Hines

This is my fourth entry for this meme, suggested by Sheila@ One Persons Journey Through A World of Books.



Laura Ingalls Wilder, Farm Journalist: Writings from the Ozarks, Edited by Stephen W. Hines, is as book that has been on my shelf for a year or so, awaiting the right time to pluck it off and check it out. It is a timeless book, but the time was right this week. I am finishing my own debut novel set on an Ozarks farm, Back to the Homeplace, and outlining the next in the series, so my mind is on Ozarks farming, I suppose.

This volume contains collected essays by Wilder that orignially appeared in the Missouri Ruralist between 1911 and 1924. Writing as "Mrs. A. J. Wilder" about  modern life in the early twentieth-century Ozarks, Laura lends her advice to women of her generation on such timeless issues as how to be an equal partner with their husbands, how to support the new freedoms they'd won with the right to vote, and how to maintain important family values in their changing world. She also discusses practical matters such as raising chickens and how to save time on household tasks while setting aside time to relax now and then.


Happy Reading! ;-)

Dr. Bill
http://stores.lulu.com/drbillshares
http://eduscapes.com/v2a/back_to_the_homeplace.html

2 comments:

  1. Oh I will definitely have to check this one out! Sounds like a fun read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill,

    Please stop by and sign up for two of the giveaways I am hosting.

    Since I've been a huge Laura Ingalls fan my whole life I can see adding this one to my library as well. Right now I am reading, The Chosen.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete