You may also like to read:

You may also enjoy reading about the family stories in my novels and short stories at The Homeplace Series blog. You can sign up for e-mail reminders.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Comfort of Fences - Book Review - Virtual Book Tour



Comfort of Fences 
Book Review
Virtual Book Tour
 
 
 I am pleased to participate in this long tour - visit each of the sites, to get a great look at this fine book, starting here, with the complete schedule:

http://theteddyrosebookreviewsplusmore.com/2014/04/book-tour-giveaway-comfort-of-fences-by-stacy-overman-morrison.htm




Publisher: Telemachus Press (October 17, 2013)

Category: Contemporary Fiction/ Women's Fiction/ Family Saga

ISBN: 978-1939927569

Available in: Print & ebook,  244 Pages

Comfort of Fences explores the unconditional love between a trio of women: Ruth, the matriarch and builder of boundaries; Denise, her special-needs adult daughter with powerful secrets of her own; and Georgia, Ruth's best friend and source of strength and practicality. The dynamics of their relationships expose the ironies that the people we love the most can also be the people we most underestimate and that the strongest of loves has nothing to do with romance.


About Stacy Overman Morrison:

Stacy Overman Morrison was born and raised in Texas. She earned her Bachelor's and Master's of Arts degrees in English from the University of Texas of the Permian Basin. Upon completion of her Master's, she taught secondary English and adjuncted at the University. She took time off from her teaching career after the birth of her second daughter and has pursued her writing since. She continues to live in Texas with her husband, two daughters, two dogs, and two horses. This is her first novel and she is hard at work listening to the voices of her characters in her second.

Website: http://www.stacyomorrison
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/stacyomorrisonauthor
Twitter: https://twitter.com/StacyOverMorr

Google+: https://plus.google.com/+StacyOvermanMorrison


My Review:

I was really looking forward to the story of these three women as outlined in the book preview. I was not disappointed in the relationships built and expounded as the story proceeded. Each of the three had distinctive characteristics that I found especially appealing. I am strongy attracted to stories of "family relationships" whether the characters are blood relatives or not. This certainly applied here.

Interdependencies occur in so many different ways as are well demonstrated in these relationships. I was not surprised by the ending as much as satisfied that the they reached this conclusion in spite of all the occurred in getting there.

For me, the only deficit to the book was the use of the dialect language for the younger lady. For me, it was totally distracting and totally unnecessary. I understood an a primal level who she was… I did not need to be reminded every paragraph. It almost made me put the book away, frankly.

Otherwise, I highly recommend this book about relationship, if you can handle the one issue I found disappointing in the presentation.


Added note: Stacy was just on television to talk about the book.  It was uploaded to You Tube, so they can view it there.

Here is the link: http://youtu.be/H2TlNSjUkEM

Happy Reading,

Dr. Bill  ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a thoughtful review, Dr. Bill. I do understand your reservation about Denise's language. I have several close friends that struggle with speech impediments and having that trait be consistent throughout the telling was a way to honor the day-to-day reality that they face. I appreciate your candor, and realize that portrayal can be redundant. Thank you for continuing to read Comfort of Fences and then writing this lovely review. I wish you well. Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. And best wishes, to you, Stacy. I look forward to your future work, as well. You are a fine writer and really able to capture the nuances of your characters! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking part in the tour. I'm glad you enjoyed 'Comfort of Fences'

    ReplyDelete